Sunday, November 13, 2011

The first Christmas blog..



It is officially 40 days to Christmas Day (aaarrrggghhh some of you might say) and it is the first day of this blog.  I hope you like it. 

My blog will look something like this -
Introduction
Craft - something I have made with a shared pattern or two
Christmas Food - I will share all recipes & some secret family ones also
Christmas Watching - some little-known facts or trivia
Santa Teddy - what has he been up to?


I spent the weekend making Christmas bunting, the first I've ever made and it turned out so well I'm selling it at Gathering (Newstead, VIC) all done up into nice little bags and an example hung in the shop, here they are -
    


This would be a great time to make some Christmas Chutney, so called because it looks a bit dark and festive (due to the beetroot) and it is simply wonderful with cold meats on a salad or it can turn a simple sandwich into something special.  It is sooooo easy.  You will find the recipe under my "Recipes" Tab above.
Behold!  my chutney-making attempts - so far I've had it with ham and turkey - yum



Christmas fact/trivia:
Why do we abbreviate Christmas to Xmas?
The abbreviation 'Xmas' is frowned upon by English teachers, who see it as a modern form of writing laziness, but their disapproval is misplaced.  The word 'Xmas' has been in use for at least six hundred years and has a special, religious meaning.  The X does not, as many think, represent the Christian Cross, but the Greek letter 'chi' which is the first letter of 'Christos', meaning Christ. So Xmas is not modern slang, after all, but has an ancient and worthy heritage. ("Christmas Watching" by Desmond Morris, 1992, Mackays of Chatham PLC, Kent, London)

Author:  Wow!  I did not know that one, how about you?

Let's see what Santa Teddy has been up to
We have been putting our heads together for our first blog - here he is hard at work at the keyboard


ST's joke today: Q: What do you get when you cross a snowman with a vampire?
A: Frostbite.


Au revoir Christmasophiles


No comments:

Post a Comment